Mail server recomendations (was: is the list the right place toask?)

J65nko j65nko at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:47:34 UTC 2007

On 2/11/07, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:

[big snip]

> I would caution anyone against using the alternatives.  There are a lot of
> people
> that use them successfully, but sendmail is far more popular in terms of
> total
> installs - this is no doubt because it is used in the larger mail servers on
> the
> Internet, and the alternatives are more used on home or small servers.  The
> reason you want to use Sendmail is that once you learn how to use it, that
> is knowledge that you have a much higher chance of re-using in the future.

Is this an effort to convince FreeBSD.org to stop using postfix? ;)

$ host freebsd.org
freebsd.org has address 69.147.83.40
freebsd.org mail is handled by 10 mx1.freebsd.org.

$ telnet mx1.freebsd.org 25
Trying 69.147.83.52...
Connected to mx1.freebsd.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx1.freebsd.org ESMTP Postfix (Postfix Rules!)
quit
221 2.0.0 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host
$