force smtp auth

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Feb 12 15:24:23 UTC 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 8:27 PM, Doug McComber wrote:

> This is for a web server that runs Drupal.  I don't use the server for
> email as I have that hosted elsewhere. I just want Drupal to be able
> to send email (from localhost) via smtp auth. This is working right
> now except mail can also be sent without using smtp auth.

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking.  Is all the mail that
Drupal sends from localhost?  That is, is there a need for Drupal to
listen on port 25 (or 587) at all?   If there is no need for
listening, then sendmail should be set up as a client only and listen
only to localhost.  I don't work with sendmail on FreeBSD so I can't
say exactly how you do this, but getting something like

  DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

in the .mc source for your sendmail.cf should tell it to listen to
daemon host.

If you do want to connect to the machine remotely and have it relay
mail for you, then having something like

  DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MSA, Port=587, M=E')

in the mc file that is the source for your sendmail.cf file should do
the trick.  That tells sendmail to listen on port 587 (smtp
submission port) and require authentication.  The M=E is what
requires the authentication.

Don't add that by hand, it is already nicely set up if  you use

   FEATURE(`msp')

If you want to force authentication even on localhost connections,
then I guess something like

  DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA, M=E')

should do the trick.

Poking around I see that the src mc file is /usr/src/etc/sendmail/
freebsd.mc

However, there is a good chance that I've answered the wrong
question, because I'm not sure what it is that you are after.

And someone who is familiar with managing sendmail on FreeBSD will be
able to tell you the FreeBSD way of doing things.

-j