toggle between english and french (how?)

Kevin Downey redchin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 17:00:37 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, Peter <pmatulis at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Le Vendredi 9 Février 2007 10:26, Giorgos Keramidas a écrit:
> > On 2007-02-09 00:53, Peter <pmatulis at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > >Le Jeudi 8 F??vrier 2007 21:24, Giorgos Keramidas a ??crit:

> > > The French keyboard is significantly different.  I suppose I could
> > > have a French keyboard by default but it would be quite annoying to
> > > work on. Is that what you're proposing?
> >
> > Not really.  I'm just trying to understand why you have to change the
> > *remote* keyboard map.  The local keyboard map is what really
> > matters, and this should work fine with the remote shell enrivonment
> > for any locale/language.
>
> Ok.  What I want to be able to do is *occasionally* edit files in French
> *remotely*.  That's all.
>
> PM

You have the server and the workstation. What matters is the keymap
setup on the workstation. If you are running Gnome\GTK on the
workstation SCIM is a nice way to control keyboard layouts. I think
SCIM may also work with KDE\QT

--
The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred.