recovery after power outage

Marty Landman martster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 12:46:11 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Pieter de Goeje <pieter at degoeje.nl> wrote:

> If the slice and partition table are still intact (as they were before the
> outage), a normal fsck -F on /dev/ad1s1a will get the pc booting again.

 Well I managed to get the machine booting by editing /etc/fstab

%cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0s1d             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
#/dev/ad1s1c            /hoss           ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

That's a great start, however I'd like to recover what I can from ad1s1c.

%sudo fsck -F ad1s1c
fsck: exec fsck_unused for /dev/ad1s1c in /sbin:/usr/sbin: No such file or
directory
fsck: exec fsck_unused for /dev/ad1s1c in /sbin:/usr/sbin: No such file or
directory

What is that telling me?

You
> can do this from a FreeBSD live cd such as FreesBIE or the fixit cd. You
> can
> then fsck the the rest of the filesystems in single user mode. You may
> also
> want to use the live CD to backup the important bits before, ehm, further
> corrupting/restoring the filesystems. ;)

Sorry Pieter I'm lost again.  Can't I use sysinstall? Fdisk?  Wish I
understood the next steps here.
FWIW when I do a sysinstall and then use the fdisk utility I get

Disk name:      ad1                                    FDISK Partition
Editor
DISK Geometry:  30515 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 490223475 sectors
(239366MB)

Offset       Size(ST)        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype
Flags

         0        126        125        -     12     unused        0
       126  490223412  490223537   ad1cs1      8    freebsd      165
 490223538      11214  490234751        -     12     unused        0

Which appears that I perhaps have not totally hosed this disk up.

Marty

--
Web Installed Formmail - http://face2interface.com/formINSTal/
Webmaster's BBS - http://bbs.face2interface.com/