Guidance requested for multimedia conversion

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 9 00:13:46 UTC 2007

On Friday,  9 February 2007 at 11:04:58 +1100, Murray Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Being much more a system programmer / database person
> than a multi media type I am requesting a 'recipe' from
> a video media expert.
>
> I need to convert an 8 minute .avi file into a basic dvd.  No menus
> or anything, just a dumb as possible 'load it, press play' disk. As
> long as I can do that, and also get the dvd player to do loop play,
> its fine.

I'm working on just such a HOWTO, but I'm currently missing the first
step: convert the AVI to MPEG-2.  Maybe mencoder (part of mplayer) can
help you there.  I'm planning to do this step some time soon as well,
so I'd be interested in hearing what you use.

The rest is described at http://www.lemis.com/grog/HOWTO/dvdburn.html.
Sorry about the format, which describes more the problems you'll find
than how to do it; I'm working on a new description, but it's not
finished yet.

Greg