/tmp getting full form portmanager

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Thu Feb 8 18:12:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:59:28 -0500
Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

> RW writes:
>
> >  > >      clear_tmp_enable
> >  > >                  (bool) Set to ``YES'' to have /tmp cleaned at
> >  > > startup.
> >
> >  And also daily_clean_tmps_enable (in periodic.conf)
>
> 	Before doing this, understand the consequences,
> 	There's stuff in my /tmp ... I understand /who/ put it there,
> but not /why/.  Until I affirmatively know it's safe to delete, not
> going to blindly reap the directory.

It's not really doing it blindly, it only removes directories and
ordinary files that haven't been accessed for three days
(or whatever daily_clean_tmps_days is set to). There is also a list of
things to ignore.

It's safer than setting clear_tmp_enable with a /tmp linked
to /var/tmp, since that's the proper place for temporary files that
should survive a reboot.