/tmp getting full form portmanager

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Thu Feb 8 03:46:22 UTC 2007

Jerry McAllister writes:

>  > /tmp is filling from portmanager is placing .db information
>  > and build details during its run.
>  >
>  > what options to I have to alleviate the troubles this creates?
>
>  Well, you could move /tmp to a bigger space.

	I think the best practice would be to a) figure out why those
files are left behind and b) remove them, either as part of a
properly functioning portmanager session of with a separate script
(perhaps from via cron).

>  Then, when you have the opportunity, rethink your partitioning
>  and redo it.  I tend to create my desktop with 512 MB /tmp and
>  serious working systems sometimes with a little more.

	May I ask what you're using /tmp for? While I could see systems
which needed that, it seems a little excessive for a vanilla
desktop.  My FreeBSD desktop, well, see for yourself:

huff@>> df /
Filesystem  1K-blocks   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1a    495726 279388 176680    61%    /

	/tmp is 44 _k_b, and only rarely breaks 200.

				Robert Huff