Sync'ng directories between two servers ...

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Wed Feb 7 15:33:32 UTC 2007

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >   I've got a directory on ServerA that I would like to keep sync'd on ServerB
> > ... to date, I've been using rsync for this, but what I hate with that is that
> > it has to scan the whole directory on both servers to compare, putting a good
> > load on each of them ...
> >
> >   Is there anything out there that ppl are using successfully that just looks
> > at ServerA, and dumps across those files that have changed since the last sync?
> > ServerB will never have any changes made to it, other then what ServerA sends
> > across ...
>
> Rsync is about as good as it reasonably gets, short of putting everything
> explicitly under version control (ie, in SVN or CVS).  If you do put the tree
> of stuff under VC, doing an update operation on ServerB will only need to
> fetch the deltas made since the last update, without doing a comparison of the
> unchanged files or placing much load on ServerA.

<musing>
You know, it'd be cool if there was some way to hook rsync in to FAM (or
a similar utility).  I found some discussion about this on the rsync
mailing list.  The response seems to indicate that it's more work than
it seems.  I wish I had time to investigate this, as it sounds like an
interesting project.
</musing>

--
Bill Moran