recovery after power outage

Marty Landman martster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 02:06:08 UTC 2007

 Jerry McAllister wrote:

> Well, do as it says - choose a shell and run fsck manually.

Heh, for starters I assumed (always a bad thing) that fsck wasn't available
because I did a 'which fsck' and got 'which not found' as a response. But
fsck itself is there.

> Just run /sbin/fsck /dev/ad1s1c.   Actually that would be a somewhat
> unusual address - what they call a 'dangerously dedicated' disk.

Can you explain or point me to more info on why that was a poor choice on my
part? To explain more this is a 250 GB hard drive which is the primary slave
and is mostly used as a data repository and shared via samba on my home
office lan.

> But I think fsck should be able to work through it.

snip

> It the manual fscks don't work, then you may have to try some
> extreme tactics to recover things on that partition or abandon

snip

> If you end up rebuilding the drive, then the next time make a
> FreeBSD slice and then make a partition within that slice to
> avoid that 'dangerously dedicated' config.

I am not getting past this error with fsck. Get 16 lines saying:

ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>
LBA=xxx

for xxx in [191..206]

then  a msg listing disk sectors that can't be read 128 through 143 and
finally:

/dev/ad1s1c: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unused)

If I can recover the disk which has about 60GB's used out of 250GB and lose
a few sectors it's really not a bad deal probably, but how do I go about
trying at this point?

Also it won't reboot now, although I've run fsck complete including on ads0.
Do I have to edit /etc/fstab so ads1 isn't mounted to get a good boot?
Unfortunately /usr isn't getting mounted and I have not editor available
afaik.

Marty