Portupgrade out of swap - corrupt pkg info... (fwd)

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 6 17:54:21 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:53:30 -0800 (PST)
From: youshi10 at u.washington.edu
To: Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD <PETER.HARRISON at DWP.GSI.GOV.UK>
Subject: Re: Portupgrade out of swap - corrupt pkg info...

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD wrote:

> I updated the ports on my laptop last night ran:
>
> portsnap fetch update
>
> followed by:
>
> portupgrade -arR
>
> This ran normally until it hit vim-gtk2. It built fine but whilst it was
> registering the installation became unresponsive.
>
> Hard rebooted, and found that in /var/log/messages it referred to being out
> of swap (I don't have the exact message to hand).
>
> pkg_info did not show vim as installed, so when portupgrade finished a cd'd
> to /usr/ports/editors/vim and ran make install clean. This installed without
> error.

If you ran make install clean then it should have installed the pkg info.

> However, now when I run pkg_info it reports that the pkg info for vim-gtk2
> is corrupt.

Hmmm...

> Could anyone help with 2 questions:
>
> ~ How do I fix the package database entry for vim?

pkg_install should do the trick, but you already cleaned out the package build
directory ><. make install for vim-gtk2 should do the trick now.

> ~ What might have caused my machine to run out of swap? It was running X and
> twm with 1 xterm open. For hardware it has 256MB RAM and a 470MB swap
> partition. I've not had this problem before.

Ouch.. you should actually have more swap than that (2*(Physical RAM amount) =
512MB swap would be a better idea in the future).

As for running out of swap, what are your make options for ruby? Having the
ruby doc (or whatever it was) option selected ate up a lot of memory on
machines a few months back; having this option deselected and rebuilding ruby
fixes the memory bloat.

make config in the lang/ruby* ports directory will yield the desired result
here.

-Garrett