CVS (freebsd /src) confusion

Dan Casey dcasey at debtresolve.com
Mon Feb 5 17:17:42 UTC 2007

Using cvsup I am upgrading my boxes from RELENG_6_1, to RELENG_6_2.

I've been noticing something strange, and I'm wondering if I'm thinking
too much into it.

I've modified mergemaster so that instead of using diff, it would just
append to a text the files that need to be diffed.  This way i can do it
with vimdiff instead.

I would think that the RELENG_6_2 would have more recent files then
6_1.  Here are a few examples.
I'm looking at cvsweb, which seems to confirm that that the versions of
these files are correct.

/etc/defaults/devfs.rules
version in 6.1 - $FreeBSD: src/etc/defaults/devfs.rules,v 1.3.12.1
2006/04/26 18:39:17
version in 6.2 - $FreeBSD: src/etc/defaults/devfs.rules,v 1.3.8.1
2006/04/26 18:38:43

/etc/defaults/periodic.conf
version in 6.1 - $FreeBSD: src/etc/defaults/periodic.conf,v 1.33.2.1
2006/03/08 23:01:18
version in 6.2 - $FreeBSD: src/etc/defaults/periodic.conf,v 1.33.2.2
2006/09/28 01:59:29

Did freebsd tag older versions a some files, or am I going nuts?