READ_DMA48 error interpretation

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Mon Feb 5 08:26:16 UTC 2007

> #1. The drive temperatures seem ridiculously high to this naive
> reader, but what do I know?...
> 110 to 190 Celcius?  Yikes...  Or maybe that's normal?
> How hot is too hot?

I'd think if you can't hold onto them with bare hands they are too
hot.  100C is *way* too hot.  It's a wonder they are working at all.

If they are in an enclosure, clean the air filter (if any), make
sure the fan(s) is/are running (and actually moving air); add a fan
if there isn't one.  If they are not in an enclosure, (or if they're
in a big one, like the same box with the rest of the system) add a
fan either blowing on them or drawing air over them.