'borrowing' 6.1 drivers for use in 6.2 (sata)

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Sat Feb 3 18:19:03 UTC 2007

Ted,

I emailed sos at freebsd.org with that info, since that was who was under
"man ata".

In the meantime, I replaced /boot/kernel/atapci.ko with the one from
my 6.1 install cd, and it seriously #$%#^'ed my system.  Restored now,
but, do you suggest I need ata*.ko, not just atapci.ko?  Or am I on
the wrong track entirely?  Also, where do I find info on the server
and folder structure I should be looking for in cvs when you mention
getting the latest thing?

Steve

On 2/3/07, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> You shouldn't have any trouble downgrading to the 6.1 drivers but
> I would suggest instead that you e-mail Soren the maintainer of the SATA
> driver before doing anything.  He may have patched it already.  At least,
> try the current driver from CVS first.
>
> All you really have to do is copy the current driver to a backup file
> then download the older driver from the cvs webinterface on freebsd.org
> and recompile your kernel.
>
> If you really want this fixed, find the exact revision in cvs where the
> support broke, obviously it will be between 6.1-release and 6.2-release,
> and let Soren know.  It will take a few kernel recompiles to do that.
> Fortunately your system boot isn't on the controller, not many folks I'm
> sure have that setup.  When you do figure it out, please create a PR
> using send-pr
>
> Ted

Steve Franks, KE7BTE
Staff Engineer