FreeBSD6.2 DIY wireless AP?

Gable Barber gablebarber at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:22:21 UTC 2007

On 2/2/07, Roger Olofsson <raggen at passagen.se> wrote:
> Dear mailing list,
>
> One of the many ideas, inspired by FreeBSD, that passed through my head
> is the one about making my own wireless access point using an old
> computer with FreeBSD and a wireless nic.
>
> First question, will a Fujitsu USB D1075 wireless nic work for this purpose?

The best place to look, at least initially is:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/hardware-i386.html#WLAN

> Second question, any pointers to how to make this small project happen
> would be appreciated. I've googled and found some but I like to read up
> on different ideas before I decide where to go. I would prefer to use
> ipfilter since I've been using that beast for quite some years now, but
> I might as well take a closer look at pf if recommended enough.

Ive done this in the past, and I found many resources (howto's
walkthroughs, etc.) available online. There are many different ways to
do it, depending on what your needs are.

My suggestion would be to find a wireless nic, that is well supported,
and go from there. Fr me, once I had a nicely supported card, the rest
was relatively easy.