santy check: adding an ipv6 address for the first time ...

Arone Silimantia aronesimi at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 15:09:56 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am running a 6.1-RELEASE system, one IP (v4) address
configured, everything is wonderful.

Now, in the past I have added additional IPv4
addresses with this command:

ifconfig fxp0 alias 192.168.0.2 netmask
255.255.255.255

Easy.  So now, I need to add a ipv6 address for the
first time, and I am very nervous - the system is very
far away from me and it costs a LOT to have someone go
reboot it or attach a KVM, etc. so I am _very_ worried
about issuing the wrong command and knocking it off
the network.

Now, I have a real ipv6 connection, and am not
tunneling or anything like that, so I don't need to do
anything with gif0, do I ?

Can I just run this command:

ifconfig fxp0 inet6 alias 1234:4567:1234::2 netmask ??

and then:

route add -inet6 default 1234:4567:1234::1

and that will work, and NOT knock me off of my ipv4 ?

Also, I put ?? in place of my netmask above - what is
the ipv6 netmask for a /48 ?

Finally, when my provider told me about my ipv6
allocation, they said:

"We have created a ::/48 for you, ::1 is your gateway"
"inet6number:  1234:5678:1234::/48"

So am I correct that my ifconfig IP (see above) should
be:

234:5678:1234::2

Or am I misunderstanding how to write that out ?

Many thanks.