diskless boot /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ scripts do not run, why?

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 1 15:55:05 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 11:23:23AM +0900, Artem Kazakov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm using 6-stable on 4 amd64 machines. One of them has FreeBSD on its
> local hard drive and others are booted via network with PXE.
> But I encounter that /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* are not executed during the
> boot process?
> Is there some kind of option to change this?
> Or may be I misconfigured something ?

If you boot diskless and /usr or /usr/local is a seperate NFS mount you
must adjust the value of the rc.conf(5) variable early_late_divider for
your scripts to be processed.  See the rc.conf manpage for details.

> Also, I do  not see any messages on console after kernel is loaded into
> memory.
> The next thing I see is login: prompt. How to turn on boot messages
> for network booted machines.
>
> I have to say that I use this loader.rc for network boot:
> load /boot/kernel/kernel
> echo \007\007
> set console="vidconsole"
> autoboot

Do you by chance have a /boot.config?  It sounds like your system is
probably running on a serial console.

-- Brooks