How to not start syslogd

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Mon Dec 31 07:11:36 PST 2007

Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2007, at 10:44 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark.org> wrote:
>
>>> Putting
>>>
>>>   syslogd_enable="NO"
>>>
>>> into /etc/rc.conf did not prevent it from starting.
>>
>> The above works on every system I've done it to (which is quite a few).
>>
>> I suspect you've either got a typo in your rc.conf, [...]
>
> Yep.  It was a typo.  I should let this be a reminder to always copy and
> paste such things into email instead of retyping.  What I had in my
> rc.conf was really
>
>   syslog_enable="NO"
>
> Notice the missing "d'.

Small hint shown to me many years ago when enabling things in rc.conf.
If I want to startup ipfilter for example (trimmed to avoid wrapping).

bash-2.05b# cat /etc/defaults/rc.conf | grep ^ipfilter

Returns the following,
ipfilter_enable="NO"            # Set to YES to enable ipfilter
ipfilter_program="/sbin/ipf"    # where the ipfilter program lives
ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipf.rules" # rules definition file for ipfilter,
ipfilter_flags=""               # additional flags for ipfilter

If it looks like what you want then write it into your running rc.conf,

cat /etc/defaults/rc.conf | grep ^ipfilter >> /etc/rc.conf

Then you can edit to enable, add flags, etc. Cures the typos.

DAve

--
Google finally, after 7 years, provided a logo for
veterans. Thank you Google. What to do with my signature now?