Rebuilding /var/db/pkg

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Sat Dec 29 17:11:30 PST 2007

Kris Kennaway writes:

>  > I committed a crime! While upgrading the ports under the newly
>  > installed RELENG_7 (beta4) with "portupgrade -arRk" I **deleted**
>  > the directory /var/db/pkg.
>  >
>  > Is there any way to rebuild it from scratch?
>
>  Nope, that was the only copy.

	Assuming there are no backups, he will have to rebuild "from
scratch".  I see two approaches:
	I) Find complex leaf programs, like FireFox or OpenOffice.
Build the port; this will drag in all the dependencies.
	II) a) Look in /usr/ports/distfiles, where all the distribution
tarballs live.
	b) Prune the resulting list, so you're only trying to build one
of any given port.
	c) Map the tarball name to the port.  A discussion of how to
do this happened within the last year on either questions@ or
ports@, and may contain usable scripts.
	d) Lay in a good supply of your favorite caffeinated beverage,
and set to work.

	In either case, design and implement a backup method.

				Robert Huff