Having problems with SMTP authentication

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 12:37:15 PST 2007

HI,

I've followed the instructions @
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-auth.html, but
am still having problems with the authentication process.

If I set my client to use either CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5, I get an error return
of authentication failure, "most likely the password is wrong."  Now, to make
sure that I'm understanding this correctly, this program (saslauthd) takes
the username and passwords given it and attempts to verify them against what
the system knows to be it's users, correct?

Working under this assumption, it would seem that the user vmail (a user I
created on the system) would be the user that I would want to use in the
e-mail client.  Well, I've done this and verified that the password is, in
fact, correct; I'm unable to authenticate to the SMTP server.

Another point of interest, I added these lines (from the handbook) to my
freebsd.mc file (as per instructions):

dnl set SASL options
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN')dnl

But when I ask my e-mail client to "check what the server supports", the
returned list is only, GSSAPI, DIGEST-MD5 and CRAM-MD5.  Why is LOGIN not
listed when it's included in this macro file?  Is there anything missing from
this section of the handbook that I've missed?

Andy