removing ipfw rules

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Fri Dec 28 06:18:33 PST 2007

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 02:21:54 +0200 Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
 > On 2007-12-27 15:47, Noah <admin2 at enabled.com> wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I have two ipfw rules that I want to remove.  They are viewable with the
 > > "ipfw show" command
 > >

 > > --- snip ---
 > >
 > > 06600      0         0 allow ip from any to any proto tcp src-ip
 > > 66.66.66.66 dst-port 22
 > > 06700      0         0 allow ip from any to any proto tcp src-ip
 > > 66.66.66.66 dst-port 22
 > >
 > > --- snip ----
 > >
 > > I am typing the command "/sbin/ipfw -q delete pass proto tcp src-ip
 > > 66.66.66.66 dst-port 22"
 > >
 > > but both lines remain.  What am I doing wrong?
 >
 > There are differences between the visible rule:
 >
 >     allow ip from any to any proto tcp src-ip 66.66.66.66 dst-port 22
 >
 > and the one you are trying to delete:
 >
 >     pass proto tcp src-ip 66.66.66.66 dst-port 22
 >
 > Having said that, can you try something simpler, i.e.
 >
 >     ipfw -q delete 6600
 >     ipfw -q delete 6700
 >
 > This should work too, if I remember well enough the ipfw syntax.

You do, but deleting by rule number/s is the only way.  ipfw(8):

     ipfw [-q] {delete | zero | resetlog} [set] [number ...]

Of course Noah could find rule number/s to delete with something like

  # ipfw delete `ipfw list | grep $somestring | awk '{print $1}'`

if he was, um, courageous :)  Safer tested first with ipfw show ..

cheers, Ian