CDROM Boot Hangs But Only Under 6.x

Tim Kellers timothyk at wallnet.com
Thu Dec 27 12:40:40 PST 2007

I have 18 brand new Gateway towers at work (I can supply the model
numbers after school restarts next week).  I wanted to clone them using
dd and an external usb hard drive.  I couldn't boot 6.x or 7.x  CDs on
any of the boxes, but I was able to install 7 (I didn't try 6.x) on a
usb stick, set the BIOS to boot from the device and run FreeBSD (and dd)
from there.

These machines have CDRW/DVDR drives installed.  I've had no problem
running any content based media from them at all, but I haven't tried
booting any other media (like WinXP) from them, either.

Tim