Problem setting up DNS

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue Dec 25 07:28:34 PST 2007

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 03:39:31 -0300 Sd?vtaker <sdavtaker at gmail.com> wrote:
 > Hello, im using FBSD 6.2
 >
 > I got 2 domains registered in the local nic and I could get one working
 > but the second one doesnt :-/
 > This is my first attemp to set up a real DNS, so im pretty sure i did
 > something wrong, i copy/pasted here all the info i think can be usefull,
 > i can add more data if necesary.
 > BTW, sorry for my english, it is not my main language.
 > Thanks for any help.
 > Sdav
 >
 > Info:
 >
 > I got this in named.conf:
 > (...)
 > zone "unhost.com.ar" {
 >      type master;
 >      file "master/unhost.com.ar";
 > 	allow-transfer {
 >      202.157.182.142;
 >      };
 > };
 >
 > zone "sacrarium.com.ar" {
 >      type master;
 >      file "master/sacrarium.com.ar";
 >      allow-transfer {
 > 	202.157.182.142;
 >      };
 > };
 > (...)
 >
 > The first one is working the second one is not.
 > In nic.ar both point to ns1.unhost.com.ar and 202.157.182.142
 > (twisted4life free secondary)
 >
 > the Zone files are:
 > master/unhost.com.ar:
 > $TTL 86400        ; 1 day
 > unhost.com.ar.    IN      SOA      ns1.unhost.com.ar. admin.unhost.com.ar. (
 >                                  2007102801      ; Serial
 >                                  10800           ; Refresh
 >                                  3600            ; Retry
 >                                  604800          ; Expire
 >                                  86400           ; Minimum TTL
 >                          )
 >
 > ; DNS Servers
 >                  IN      NS      ns1.unhost.com.ar.

You need to list your secondary nameserver here as well, by name not IP,
to match the nameservers listed at your NIC.  Make sure it's refreshing
the zone whenever you update it, given up to 3+ hours (10800s) to do so.

Don't forget to increment the Serial whenever you make any changes to
your zone.  You may also want to reduce your TTL down to say 3600 until
it's all working fine and things have propogated out to the world.

And each zone should have:

localhost  IN   A       127.0.0.1

 > ; MX Records
 >                  IN      MX 10   mx.unhost.com.ar.
 >                  IN      A       190.2.50.197

You'll want to make sure the reverse zone file has mx.unhost.com.ar. for
190.2.50.197 too, whether you or you service provider controls that.

 > ; Machine Names
 > ns1             IN      A       190.2.50.197
 > mx              IN      A       190.2.50.197
 > ftp             IN      A       190.2.50.197
 >
 > ; Aliases
 > www             IN      CNAME   @
 >

 > and  master/sacrarium.com.ar  say:
 > $TTL 86400        ; 1 day
 > sacrarium.com.ar.    IN      SOA      ns1.unhost.com.ar.
 > admin.unhost.com.ar. (
 >                                  2007102801      ; Serial
 >                                  10800           ; Refresh
 >                                  3600            ; Retry
 >                                  604800          ; Expire
 >                                  86400           ; Minimum TTL
 >                          )
 >
 > ; MX Records
 >                  IN      MX 10   mx.unhost.com.ar.

Oops, you've left out the NS records ..

 > ; Machine Names
 > www             IN      A       190.2.50.197
 >

 > When i do:
 > nslookup www.unhost.com.ar
 > Server:         200.69.193.1
 > Address:        200.69.193.1#53
 >
 > Non-authoritative answer:
 > www.unhost.com.ar       canonical name = unhost.com.ar.
 > Name:   unhost.com.ar
 > Address: 190.2.50.197
 >
 > nslookup www.sacrarium.com.ar
 > Server:         200.69.193.1
 > Address:        200.69.193.1#53
 >
 > ** server can't find www.sacrarium.com.ar: SERVFAIL

Yeah, no nameservers listed in the primary zone file.  At least one and
should be two ..

[..]

cheers, Ian