BIND9 won't start

QADMOS qadmos at free.fr
Sun Dec 23 13:23:48 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

i'm having a hard time with bind9.

I'm trying to set up an authoritative dns server.

Unfortunately when i try to launch it with an 'rndc start' i get this
error message :

 > rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused

I've reviewed my conf files but frankly i couldn't see what was wrong.
I've actually rewritten them from scratch several times to really check
that nothing was missing and couldn't see anything was wrong. The
localhost.rev file is configured correctly. I've also tried to
regenerate new rndc.keys and edit named.conf accordingly but to no avail.

I've also considered a possible file permissions in /etc/namedb and in
/var/run/named issue but that didn't yield much either.

Finally the biggest trouble is that nothing is logged in any log file !
nothing in /var/log/messages nothing in /var/log/all.log nothing
anywhere so i'm really confused here about what direction to investigate.

Has anyone ever encountered such an issue ?

Thx in advance for any help.