Updating ports

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat Dec 22 16:19:29 PST 2007

> What's the difference between them?

The main difference that is relevant to me personally is that portmanager
makes no attempt to be too smart about avoiding compilation, and it is fully
restartable without affecting the results.

It rebuilds ports in such a way that the result is, in theory, supposed to be
equivalent to what you would have gotten had you installed them all from
scratch with your current ports tree.

In particular, given a re-build (e.g. upgraded) port X, all ports depending on
X will also be re-built regardless of whether that is required according to
the dependency relation. This is handled in such a way that it is not
dependent on the entire procedure completing in one session, as you are with
portupgrade (meaning it's restartable, as mentioned above).

In practice, I find this is the most useful upgrading method. I have never
been able to use portupgrade for more than a week or two on a real machine
without running into issues (stale dependencies, failed builds due to weak
dependency information, etc).

That said, it's not perfect. The implementation is buggy in some ways, and
there are fundamental problems with that upgrading approach (e.g., files
moving between packages can cause problems).

In the end I tend to either build binary packages from scratch and use
portupgrade -afPP to upgrade, or do in-place upgrading with portmanager.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org