which cputype for Althon 64 X2 Dual Core

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Fri Dec 21 16:33:36 PST 2007

I'm building a new server with 7.0 BETA4 (it will track stable) with
the following CPU

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2600.02-MHz K8-
class CPU)
   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x60fb1  Stepping = 1

Features
=
0x178bfbff
<
FPU
,VME
,DE
,PSE
,TSC
,MSR
,PAE
,MCE
,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
   Features2=0x2001<SSE3,CX16>
   AMD Features=0xea500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,
3DNow!>
   AMD Features2=0x11f<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,Prefetch>
   Cores per package: 2

What optimizations should I make in make.conf?

The example make.conf says

   AMD64 architecture: opteron, athlon64, nocona, prescott, core2

But I don't know whether althon64 or core2 would be the safest and
most appropriate.

Also GENERIC for amd64 lists

     cpu    HAMMER

is that the best (only) choice?  And if not, where can I find a list
of alternatives?  I didn't find anything in the NOTES files telling me
what was available.

-j