/var growing too fast

zbigniew szalbot zbigniew at szalbot.homedns.org
Thu Dec 20 22:09:08 PST 2007

Hello,

I thought I would ask your advice. I only have a 2 GB /var slice and
space is shrinking fast. I see that most space is taken by /var/db.

$ du -hs /var/db
1.4G    /var/db

$  du -hs /var
1.7G    /var

$ df
/dev/ad0s1e   2178510 1738396  265834    87%    /var

Is it possible to release some space from /var/db? I seem to recall that
/var/db is pretty important and I better not lose it...

It may be that something else is eating up available space but I am not
sure how to measure it. Every day about 1% more of available space is taken.

Many thanks for ideas what to do (apart from bying a bigger drive :)

And season greetings to you all!

Zbigniew Szalbot