periodic.conf

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Wed Dec 19 16:09:39 PST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 12:54 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> jekillen wrote:
>
>> I copied a periodic.conf file from a v6.0 system to
>> a v6.2 system.
>> Is there any incompatibility that I should be aware of?
>
> Assuming you're not talking about /etc/defaults/periodic.conf, then
> it is unlikely you will have any problems.  All that the stuff in
> periodic.conf does is set values for a number of shell variables.
> Those only make a difference if any of the periodic scripts refer
> to them -- otherwise they are harmless.
>
> The only thing that could hurt you is if the meaning of a particular
> variable changed significantly between 6.0 and 6.2.  That is something
> which would not be allowed to happen by the FreeBSD project just as a
> matter of good engineering practice.
>
> Even so, you should sanity check what is set in your
> /etc/periodic.conf with the entries in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf
> - -- everything you can set to affect periodic scripts that come with
> the base system is documented there, and it's fairly well commented
> so you can work out what changes you need to make easily. Externally
> supplied periodic scripts usually contain some documentation of their
> settable variables within themselves. As /etc/periodic.conf should
> contain only the overrides from the default settings, this is unlikely
> to be a particularly taxing enterprise.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

It was just to save some typing. I replaced Sendmail with Postfix on
both machines and
wanted to copy the periodic changes to the 6.2 system by replacing the
whole file
with the changes from the 6.0 system. That is it. It seems to be
working. That is the
only tampering I have done with periodic.conf. No one else uses my
machines.
Thanks for the info.
Jeff K