Notes for a first-time porter

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Dec 19 12:56:56 PST 2007

All,

I am thinking of doing a quick port of the "zsu" zone file serial number
bumper for FreeBSD.

However, I have a couple of questions regarding ports that aren't clear to
me, nor do they seem to be in the porter's handbook.

1) What provision is made for when a port's "distsite" is simply "CPAN".
Does the ports tree have any kinds of smarts regarding CPAN mirrors,
locality, etc?

2) Is freeBSD's bastardization of CPAN files into packages (i.e. the
BSDPAN) stuff documented anywhere?

3) Unrelated to my port but I'll ask anyway:  I'm vaguely aware that
SourceForge has a command-line fetching utility for a while (you could
only use it if you were a supporter tho).  I'm not sure if this is still
the case.  At any rate, is there any special provision for local
sourceforge mirrors, as above?

-Dan Mahoney