Bare Metal Recovery FreeBSD How To

Nuno Gonçalves nuno at fccn.pt
Wed Dec 19 09:19:31 PST 2007

Thank you all on responding this mater.
Well the situation is the hardware is wrecked! So the only thing that I have
is the content of all partitions available. The backup is a tar uncompressed
data.
So I have the contents in a server.

So the objective is to use a completely different hardware but with the same
kernel, same configurations, same partitions, etc. In that way, what I
thought (but I don't know if it is the proper way) was to install a minimum
freeBSD (same version which is 6.0) with the following partitions and
booting with F1 option:
/dev/ad1s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad1s1a             /                  ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad1s1d             /new_root        ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad1s1e		 /archive 	ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0                 /cdrom         cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

Then migrate the partions that I have in my backup

/ -> to partition /new_root (/dev/ad1s1d)  at the end this should be changed
to /dev/ad1s1a

/archive -> to partition /archive (/dev/ad1s1e)

The idea is to make use of the same swap partition, and of course if all
goes OK the partition / of the minimum system is lost when bootManager is
changed to boot on /new_root.

That is what I have in mind but I am not sure if it will work.
I am new to FreeBSD and I am more used to red hat, still I am putting some
effort to change that :)

Best regards and thanks once again

Nuno