rough method of cleaning the ports tree

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Tue Dec 18 19:56:38 PST 2007

Hi,

John Nielsen wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 December 2007, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>
> There are at least two better ways of doing this that will take less time
> and not put unnecessary load on the CVS servers.

this was the main reason for asking. If all would do it, CVSup would be
of no help at all.

> 1) Delete "work" directories after building ports. If you use the "clean"
> make target it will do this automatically. I typically do "make install

This is what I always did but it is also time consuming on slower machines.

> 2) Use WRKDIRPREFIX. I set this in my .cshrc, but you can set it manually or

I have not noticed this before. This sounds to be the best option. It
will result it what I want and still will not put any load on any
machine except of mine if I have to rebuild.

> See "man ports" for more information on the port build infrastructure and
> associated make targets and environment variables.

I do this ones in a while but never noticed or did not understand the
use of WRKDIRPREFIX.

> The other thing in the ports collection that tends to take up space is the
> distfiles directory. If you want to delete it wholesale then go ahead

I do the cleaning work manually there. I delete only double entries to
avoid additional downloading.

> HTH,

I think, it really does.

Erich