common filesystem for Linux and FreeBSD

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Dec 17 21:05:11 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 10:38:54AM -0500, David Robillard wrote:
> > That being the case, there is some data I would like to keep available to
> > both FreeBSD and Linux systems, in stable read/write access with
> > reasonably high access performance for both (fast enough to achieve
> > decent frame rates, for instance).  This seems to rule out both ext3 and
> > UFS2.  What filesystem(s) meet(s) my needs in this case?
>
> NFS would probably do it. You can use either OS as the NFS server and
> use which ever file system you desire.

Are you suggesting I put the filesystem on another machine and use NFS to
make it available to both OSes on this machine?  I'm looking to have a
filesystem on *this* machine that is available to both OSes, running one
at a time.

Paul Graham: "Real ugliness is not harsh-looking syntax, but having to
build programs out of the wrong concepts."