csh programing book

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Dec 16 11:59:43 PST 2007

Konstantinos Pachnis wrote:
> Zbigniew Komarnicki wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Is there a good programming book for csh as for example for bash (free
>> available) ?
>>
>> For bash is here:
>> http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
>>
>> Is such book for csh on the net (free available) ?
>>
>> Thank you for any hints.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Zbigniew

> O'reilly has a book regarding csh & tcsh named Using csh & tcsh but it's
> not covering programming and it is not free either
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tcsh/.
> For shell programming you should consider using an alternative shell
> such as bash, zsh and/or ksh, all available on FreeBSD ports collection.

I've seen lots of csh books, now and then, I have several here, but
there are certainly more sh books.  There are several bash books now,
due to all the Linux programmers, but I have to agree that while bash
makes a pretty good programming shell, at least IMO, it makes a poor fit
as a friendly user shell.

Actually, I like ksh better, if you are really going all out for a
programming shell, but if you're really after a scripting language, why
restrict yourself to shells?  things like Python & Ruby knock hell out
of both ksh and bash.  That's hardly even arguable.  Too bad there isn't
a good friendly shell-like mode to Python.  Ruby would be out there, you
couldn't even think about using a OO based tool for a user shell, those
things need to be thought out, and that's the antithesis of being a
friendly shell.