V3x Phone as modem

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sun Dec 16 02:48:38 PST 2007

Hi everyone,
I have a Motorola v3x mobile phone, which I use with my 3G enabled phone provider ( Hutchinson's 3 , in Australia). I was wondering if anyone managed to get this phone to work as a modem.

This is what I do and have :

- FreeBSD 7 Beta-4, kernel + world from  today. Ports up to date.

- Custom kernel, ucom built in. Computer is a Thinkpad z60

- The phone is in 'Data connection' mode before I plug it into my computer. The connection to the phone is via USB.

- When adding the device, the console shows:
ugen1: <Motorola Inc. Motorola Phone (RAZRV3x), class 2/0, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2> on uhub0

$ sudo usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 2: full speed, power 500 mA, config 1, Motorola Phone (RAZRV3x)(0x3002), Motorola Inc.(0x22b8), rev 0.01
 port 2 powered

- The only differences in /dev when connecting the phone :
$ diff dev1 dev2
119a120,123
> ugen1
> ugen1.11
> ugen1.5
> ugen1.6

- There is software to make it work with MS-Windows (it installs some drivers), and i've seen references to it being used under linux (with wvdial), though no actual references to the device driver used.

thanks in advance!
Beto
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Quality is never an accident, it is always the result of intelligent effort."
  John Ruskin  (1819-1900)