Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Thu Dec 13 10:36:27 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 09:40:50AM -0700, Andrew Falanga wrote:
> sounds like everyone is sold on dovecot.  Great!.  I've a few questions.  I
> went and looked it up on freshports.org and found the main web site.  Can
> anyone explain to me what problems they have with mail clients attaching?
> See http://wiki.dovecot.org/Clients .  This shows some interesting problems
> and I'd like to know if everyone using dovecot sees these problems.

I use mutt 1.4.2.3i, which works without problems. I have also used
Thunderbird with it, as does my business partner, and spotted no issues
there either.

> Second, how do programs like dovecot manage users?  Does each user of the
> e-mail system need to be a user of the FreeBSD system (installed locally)?

As Gerard said, dovecot can handle virtual users. There are several ways
to do this - probably the most scalable will be SQL and LDAP, although
you can use passwd-file as well. There's some good documentation on the
web site, particularly http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye