performance impact of large /etc/hosts files

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Tue Dec 11 08:19:33 PST 2007

Hi,

Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>> This is really what I want. Just avoiding the traffic, the time and
>> the optical disturbance caused by all those sites.
>>
>> I would even prefer a method as simple as hosts but linked even to my
>> user account.
>
> http://adblockplus.org/en/ works fine on Firefox.  Easier to use and
> more effective than 127.0.0.1 entries in /etc/hosts.

I do not even use Firefox.

hosts has the clear limit that stuff coming from the same site as the
text I want to read is still shown.

In general, it works fine.

But new sites have new stuff I would like to be filtered out. To make
these experiences as rare as possible, I collect from friends and the
Internet hosts files to filter as much as possible.

This resulted in a pretty large file meanwhile.

But the Internet looks much more usable for me now.

Erich