still no luck in coping a 6 G dvd to a 4.7 dvd...

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Tue Dec 11 04:29:50 PST 2007

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:21:49 -0800
Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:

> 	Guys, I've set up a test account which is pure KDE.  Still,
> 	using both my Pioneer and the Lite-on burners, no luck in burning
> 	a DVD that is larger than thee default.  This time I'm using a
> 	documentary that I own, so there is nothing wrong in making a
> 	backup.   Results: Same thing as happened with the other
> 	commercially created DVD.
>
> 	K3B reads the disk flawlessly, but growisofs fails (perhaps) to do
> 	its thing.  In any case, the program complains that there is not
> 	enough space on the blank and spits out the disk.
>
> 	I've tried replacing "auto" with "generic-mmc-raw" on the Lit-On
> 	burner.  Nope.  Anybody other suggestions?

It may be that the source DVD is using some compression method to
fit the content on a 4.7G DVD.  The size of the original DVD can
be checked with "dvd+rw-mediainfo" (sysutils/dvd+rw-tools), ex:

	# dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cd0

If the source DVD is a 4.7G DVD then the simplest way might be to
first make a duplicate image with "dd", for example:

	# dd bs=2048 if=/dev/cd0 of=duplicate.iso

This should produce an image of suitable size in the current
directory to fit on another DVD which can be burned with
"growisofs" (sysutils/dvd +rw-tools):

	# growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z /dev/cd0=duplicate.iso

The preceeding commands are only examples and may need to be
adjusted for your hardware/situation.

HTH,

Randy