Wine compatibility and performance on FreeBSD 7

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Dec 9 01:51:49 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 12:59:08PM -0500, Tom Wickline wrote:

> I don't know if any of you guys or gals are Gamers.... But just in
> case I also installed Halo in Wine and it runs about the same
> on FreeBSD as it does on Linux. With D3D, DDraw and OpenGL working
> most every game that is running in Wine should run
> on FreeBSD.. I don't know this as fact as I've only tried one Game and
> four Benchmarks, but it does look promising.

I play WoW a bit.  Around here, we (my SigO and I) have only gotten so
far as getting it running on Linux.  I had a machine lying around I was
going to try to get running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE not long ago, and see if
getting WoW working was as good on FreeBSD as on Debian GNU/Linux.
Unfortunately, the machine appears to have developed some hardware issues
in the couple months it lay dormant, so that project is off until:

  A. I get a new machine working,
  B. I nail down the specific issues with this one and get it working, or
  C. it becomes eas[y|ier] to get 3D acceleration working with a Radeon.

Assuming one of those things happens, I hope I remember to report back in
this thread.

Thanks for the links.

Phillip J. Haack: "Productivity is not about speed. It's about velocity.
You can be fast, but if you're going in the wrong direction, you're not
helping anyone."