Scanner Compatibility

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Dec 8 07:16:22 PST 2007

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Michaël Grünewald wrote:

> Predrag Punosevac <punosevac at math.arizona.edu> writes:
>
>> I use Epson Perfection 1670 and it works like a charm. Unfortunately
>> it does require binary blob which might be something you want to
>> avoid.
>
> What is that binary blob stuff? Do you mean by this a binary image
> that should be loaded in kernel --- after being correctly wrapped just
> like some wifi card drivers? If this is the case, there is no chance
> to make the blob work under amd64, is there?

Some scanners have no built-in firmware.  The driver downloads the
firmware to the scanner on initialization.

The best way to avoid problems with a firmware download is to avoid
equipment that uses it.  The SANE documentation should help you identify
scanners that require a firmware download; my Epson 1640SU doesn't, for
example.