FreeBSD & GSM Bluetooth Phone

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wundram at beenic.net
Tue Dec 4 01:13:06 PST 2007

Am Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2007 08:34:11 schrieb Cy Schubert:
> Could anyone point me in the direction of documentation outlining how to
> setup a Bluetooth phone for wireless Internet access (when WiFi is
> unavailable). Thanks.

Depends on the protocol your phone uses to access the net. For PAN
connectivity (which is the default Bluetooth way of Internet connectivity),
FreeBSD currently doesn't ship with a daemon that implements the server-side
of it.

I implemented a quick 'n dirty hack implementing the PAN protocol which works
fine with my Sony Ericsson (M600i) mobile, but YMMV when getting that to
run/work with different phones:

http://btpand.beenic.net

You'll have to get a mercurial client to check it out, and read the README
contained in the archive to get it to run (requires tap support in the kernel
and needs you to set up the bridging/routing to get the traffic from the tap
device to your local network).

--
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development