jabberd will not start on reboot, only starts manually

Pollywog lists-fbsd at shadypond.com
Mon Dec 3 14:04:45 PST 2007

I am running FreeBSD 6.2 with Jabberd installed from ports:
jabberd-2.1.18

When I reboot the machine, jabberd will not start, but it will start if I
manually restart it with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/jabberd restart

/var/log/messages shows:

jabberd/c2s[989]: mysql: connection to database failed: Can't connect to local
MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
jabberd/c2s[989]: failed to initialize auth module 'mysql'

I added 'mysql' to the REQUIRED line in the startup script for jabberd but
this did not solve the problem.  It still appears as though jabberd attempts
to connect to mysql before mysql is ready for the connection.

Can anyone assist with this problem?

thanks