Bind 9.3.4P1 Wouldn't run in Sandbox in FreeBSD6.2p9.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Dec 3 11:38:07 PST 2007

I don't know if this is a bind question or a FreeBSD question
since  it could be either.

	We've run bind in a sandbox for some years. After the
latest security upgrades to FreeBSD6.2.9, bind refused to start.
If I change ownership of /var/named to root:wheel and run named
as root, it works fine again.

	This was kind of a shock and I needed to get bind going
in a hurry so I am asking if there is a way to make bind run
with the less important user ID when it is not in a jail.

	I am so glad I tried this on a caching DNS first.

	Thanks for answers or pointers as to where to read about
this change.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer