FreeBSD make on other platforms [was: Re: Building FreeBSD on Linux]

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Dec 3 03:02:23 PST 2007

On 2007-12-03 08:08, Micha?l Gr?newald <michael.grunewald at laposte.net> wrote:
>"Saravanan Shanmugham (sarvi)" <sarvi at cisco.com> writes:
>> I have tried GNU Make 3.80 as well as pmake. And I can't seem
>> to find bmake for Linux.
>
> I have found in my vaults a script that downloads pmake source from
> your favorite FreeBSD's mirror and builds a binary that worked on (at
> least one workstation running) Linux.

Since there seems to be so much interest in running FreeBSD
make(1) on other platforms, I've committed what I have done so
far to <http://hg.hellug.gr/bmake/gker>.  It's not a full port
of FreeBSD make(1) yet, but anyone interested to help is invited
to hop in and give me a hand :)

The main goal of this `project' is to have a fully buildable
version of FreeBSD make(1) on Linux and Solaris, so that one can
build FreeBSD-like makefiles by running:

	/usr/local/bin/bmake [ -f BSDmakefile ]