Building FreeBSD on Linux

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Dec 2 15:16:08 PST 2007

On 2007-11-30 16:06, "Saravanan Shanmugham (sarvi)" <sarvi at cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to build all of FreeBSD from a Linux Machine and seem to
> be running into problems.  We have farm of build machines that we use
> to build many other things and my team would look like to use it going
> forward for our FreeBSD development.
>
> Has anyone tried this before?
>
> I have tried GNU Make 3.80 as well as pmake. And I can't seem to find
> bmake for Linux.

I don't know of any port of BSD make(1) to Linux, or if that would be
sufficient to cross-build FreeBSD.  I'm trying to build a snapshot of
FreeBSD make(1) which builds with autoconf, for other stuff, but it
may take a while before I have a fully autoconf-ified version and that
may still not be adequate.

You can always try booting a FreeBSD snapshot inside vmware or qemu,
and build FreeBSD from FreeBSD, but that may be a bit slow...