Issues configuring cyrus-imapd

Firas Kraiem fkraiem at free.fr
Sun Dec 2 07:41:17 PST 2007

Greetings

I'm trying to configure cyrus-imapd on a FreeBSD (6.2) mail server. The
only guide Google pointed me to is this one, who seems a bit outdated :

http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~venkat/tutorial1.html

So I tried to follow it, making all the changes I could figure out.
First, I installed mail/cyrus-imapd23 instead of mail/cyrus-imapd2. The
first issue came when I su'd to the cyrus user and ran mkimap, where I
got a permissions problem :

	chown: ./socket/lmtp: Operation not permitted

No big deal, I thought, and just chown'ed /var/imap/socket/ltmp to cyrus
as root. Everything else went fine, or at least seemed to, until I
created the password for cyrus using saslpasswd2. No error message, but
this apppears in my auth.log :

	saslpasswd2: sql_select option missing
	saslpasswd2: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available

And then, when I try to login using the command described in the guide,
I get :

	Please enter your password:
	C: L01 LOGIN cyrus {1}
	S: L01 NO Login only available under a layer
	Authentication failed. generic failure
	Security strength factor: 0

And the same thing than before in my auth.log :

	imap[53980]: sql_select option missing
	imap[53980]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available

Any help to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Firas