m0n0wall on Firebox II vs. Trend Micro firewall on ZyXel P-334 router

L Goodwin xrayv19 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 20:38:55 PDT 2007

I found this interesting account of someone installing
the (freebsd-based) m0n0wall firewall on an old
WatchGuard Firebox II firewall using a discarded 8MB
compact flash card:

http://www.ls-net.com/m0n0wall-watchguard/

I happen to have a Firebox II sitting around, and was
wondering what the benefit might be of doing this
conversion vs. just using the Trend Micro firewall on
a ZyXel P-334 router.

I was also wondering if the Firebox II might be put to
any other/additional uses? It's a cool little red box
containing a PII/200, 2 PCI slots and an expansion
port that I don't know anything about, but I expect I
can get an adapter that will enable me to plug a
1.2Gig laptop HDD into it.