Meaning of: kill -USR2

Jona Joachim jaj at hcl-club.lu
Fri Aug 31 11:21:33 PDT 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
White Hat <pigskin_referee at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have seen 'kill -USR2' used in some scripts;
> however, I am unable to find out exactly what it is
> referring to. The man page for 'kill' does not list
> any 'USR2' flag or signal, unless I am reading it
> incorrectly.
>
> Perhaps, someone can tell me exactly what this signal
> means.

SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 are signals that don't have any predefined meaning.
You can use them for based inter-process communication.

See:
man 3 signal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGUSR1_and_SIGUSR2

Jona

--
"I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists
build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children and clowns