How to retrieve a directory tree from perforce.freebsd.org?

Howard Goldstein hg at queue.to
Fri Aug 31 10:17:09 PDT 2007

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> Howard Goldstein wrote:
>
>> As the subject says, is there a straightforward way to retrieve a
>> directory tree from perforce.freebsd.org?  Clicking individual files in
>> the web interface is really tedious.
>>

> It seems the required software for accessing perforce repositories is
> available in ports:
>
> /usr/ports/devel/perforce
>
> I haven't tried it myself though. I don't even know if
> perforce.freebsd.org allows anonymous access.  You can however read some
> details on it here:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/p4-primer/index.html
>
> If you do try, it please send a follow up post with results.

Whatever the magical incantation for p4 is it's well hidden after 15
minutes of poking around various docs

cally:~$ p4 -H perforce.freebsd.org
Perforce client error:
        Connect to server failed; check $P4PORT.
        TCP connect to perforce failed.
        perforce: host unknown.
cally:~$ p4 -p 1666 -H perforce.freebsd.org
Perforce client error:
        Connect to server failed; check $P4PORT.
        TCP connect to 1666 failed.
        connect: 1666: Connection refused
cally:~$

I'm sure I'm missing something simple.  If anon access is supposed to be
denied by design it's broken because the browser portion allows access
to the files themselves, although laden with revision prettyfication.