auto mount xfce4 and kde

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Fri Aug 31 05:23:05 PDT 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007 09:41:23 Koen de Wijs wrote:

> This week I installed FreeBSD on a computer of mine. Everything works
> fine but one thing I can't get working.
> Every person should be albe to work with the machine. The only thing
> that isn't working is auto-mounting of cd-roms and usb-sticks. If KDE is
> started and I put a usb-stick in the computer there should appear a icon
> on the desktop with the usb drive on it and that should also work for
> cd-roms. On XFCE4 there should also appear an icon;

Don't know about XFCE4, but read on.

> I also added the regular user to the group operators.

You don't wanna do that, unless it's ok with you that a user can get read
access to every file on every disk. Operator is meant for backup users.

> What do I need to do to get it working?

portinstall desktop-bsd-tools and read the instructions about devfs, with a
major side-note:
ntfs/fat partitions can only be mounted by root, because mount changes the
owner of the disk to the underlying directory, so it's likely that your users
cannot mount usb-sticks.
To automount usb storage devices as root, have a look at usbd(8) and
usbd.conf(5). You'll have to provide an unmounter for your users though and
instruct them to unmount before removing or things go to hell.

--
Mel