Cannot rebuild Sendmail (with sasl2)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Aug 29 15:05:35 PDT 2007

On 2007-08-29 18:02, brad davison <demonichandextensions at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> I am a new FreeBSD user (almost converted from Linux).  My company is
> switching over mail servers from an (expensive and old) Red Hat server
> to FreeBSD 6.2.

Yippie!  Welcome to the FreeBSD side of the world :-) :-)

> I have gotten nearly everything configured and running smoothly except
> for SMTP AUTH.
>
> Before I tried to build in the SASL2 stuff, I had done a full src-all
> update via cvsup, and at that time, I was able to rebuild sendmail,
> and rebuild the world.
>
> After installing the cyrus-sasl2-saslauthd port, I am now unable to
> rebuild sendmail and/or The World.

You need the security/cyrus-sasl2 port, not sasl2-saslauthd.

> Whether I am rebuilding sendmail or the World, I get an error on
> libsmutil.a.
> Specifically :
>
> make: don't know how to make /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/../../lib/libsmutil/libsmutil.a.
> Stop

You haven't provided enough context for us to find out what is
going on.  In the future, if you bump against similar errors,
it may be useful to keep a full log of the build commands that
failed, i.e. by running thm inside script(1):

    % script
    Script started, output file is typescript
    % make buildworld buildkernel
      [ snip output ]
    % exit
    exit

    Script done, output file is typescript
    %

Then you can attach the file 'typescript', or filter the file
through col(1) to convert it to plain ASCII text and insert its
contents in an email.

> after doing a 'find / -name libsmutil.a'
> libsmutil.a exists at: /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libsmutil/libsmutil.a

The libsmutil.a library builds fine here with the following in
my `make.conf' file:

    SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=    -I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
    SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=   -L/usr/local/lib
    SENDMAIL_LDADD=     -lsasl2

Can you show us what your `make.conf' looks like, and describe how you
tried to build Sendmail?

- Giorgos