Cannot rebuild Sendmail (with sasl2)

brad davison demonichandextensions at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 11:15:04 PDT 2007

Hello.

I am a new FreeBSD user (almost converted from Linux).  My company is
switching over mail servers from an (expensive and old) Red Hat server to
FreeBSD 6.2.

I have gotten nearly everything configured and running smoothly except for
SMTP AUTH.

Before I tried to build in the SASL2 stuff, I had done a full src-all update
via cvsup, and at that time, I was able to rebuild sendmail, and rebuild the
world.

After installing the cyrus-sasl2-saslauthd port, I am now unable to rebuild
sendmail and/or The World.

Whether I am rebuilding sendmail or the World, I get an error on
libsmutil.a.
Specifically :

make: don't know how to make
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/../../lib/libsmutil/libsmutil.a. Stop

after doing a 'find / -name libsmutil.a'
libsmutil.a exists at: /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libsmutil/libsmutil.a

I had googled the problem, and 2 years ago this guy had a similar problem.
Sendmail with sasl2 build fails. *FIX*
Richard Mcintyre rem at thecompanyonline.com
Wed May 4 12:03:08 PDT 2005

He pointed to some advice he had found on a mailing list, but did not
provide details.

Any direction that could assist me would make me EXTREMELY grateful!

Thanks!
Brad